Chinese Orange Chicken in the Crock Pot
- 1 – 2 pounds Chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly Biscuit or Pancake Mix (flour will work too if it’s all you have)
- Palm Shortening or Canola Oil
- 6 oz Frozen Pulp-Free Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
- 4 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Toss the chicken with the pancake mix in a large bowl or ziplock. Shake off excess flour.
- Heat the palm shortening in a large skillet and lightly brown the chicken on all sides. Don’t cook the chicken through, just seal in the juices.
- Toss the browned chicken in the crockpot.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and add more sugar if you wish.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and cook on low 6 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Halfway through the cooking, if it looks like all the juices have ran out in the crock pot, add a few Tbsp of Sesame Oil, Gluten Free Soy Sauce, and water (mixed together) and stir in with the chicken.
- Serve over jasmine rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or green onions (optional).