Sunday, February 13, 2011

Take Your Time

I haven't blogged in a while, and the main reason is life has gotten busy again. Time seemed to stand still during the holidays, since I was sick for most of it, but despite that, I enjoyed the down time. The time to read, write, think, and pray. The time to cuddle with my children. The time to sit down and relax with my husband. The time to take walks and play at parks. The time to call a friend or respond to an email. The time to sit at the feet of Jesus and wait for Him to speak. The time to meet a friend for coffee or the time to get pedicures with my sisters. The time to take an afternoon nap. The list goes on.

The sad thing is, that time is gone. This new year is in full swing now and all the calendar days are filled with ink. I often ask myself, "why and how did we get so busy?" "Why am I always rushing around picking up toys and doing laundry instead of sitting down and reading books to my kids?" "Why do my husband and I feel like roommates with opposite work hours?" My goal for this week (I figure, one week at a time, I can handle), is to sit back and enjoy every moment and take the time to just BE with my Lord, my husband, my kids, my family, my friends. Instead of rushing through it all, I want to "stand and stare" like the following poem explains, instead of having "no time to see the woods we pass" ...

Leisure

(by William Henry Davies)

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this is if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Harmony. Such a great thing you shared! :) I need to work on just being, too. It's easy to be busy and keep busy, but God constantly reminds me of what you just said and it takes time and effor to do just that. Thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete